If you’re a Canadian business owner, or even if you do business with Canadian subscribers, it’s important to know and understand the provisions of CASL, and make sure you’re compliant.
If you’re already following the United States’ CAN-SPAM rules, you’ll probably be OK, but here are some of the highlights:
- You must have written or oral proof of permission to send from the subscriber
- You must be clear as to why you’re requesting that permission
- You have to guarantee that the recipient isn’t coming from a rented, purchased or ‘scraped’ list
- You must list your physical and electronic contact information in each message
- You must have an ‘unsubscribe’ link in each message
Remember, these are just the highlights. To view the legislation in its entirety, go to:
What do you think? Will the new CASL make it easier or more difficult for email marketers? Leave a comment below!